If you’ve ever tried to open a new bank account and been turned down due to items on your ChexSystems report, you know how frustrating it can be. However, what many people don’t realize is that you have the right to contact ChexSystems and receive a copy of your report.
You also have the right to contest any inaccurate information you find on your report. But what is the best way to get in touch with ChexSystems?
Many people choose to contact the agency by mail, but this can be time-consuming and tedious. And it is possible to contact ChexSystems over the phone, but you need to go about it in the right way.
What is ChexSystems?
ChexSystems is a consumer reporting agency that keeps track of your banking history. Banks and credit unions can access your ChexSystems report to determine whether or not to approve your application for a checking or savings account.
Here is an example of some of the information that ChexSystems tracks:
- Account closures
- Bounced checks
- ATM abuse
- Suspected cases of fraud
- Negative balance on a checking account
A ChexSystem report is basically the banking equivalent of your credit report. And the similarities between the two don’t end there.
Thanks to the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), you have a right to access your ChexSystems report. You can request one free copy per year.
And you can also receive a free copy if you’ve been denied a bank account in the past 60 days. Once you’ve looked over your report, you have the right to ask the agency to remove any incorrect items you find listed.
See also: 20 Banks That Don’t Use ChexSystems
How Do I Contact ChexSystems?
If you need to contact ChexSystems to either request a copy of your report or to have inaccurate items removed from your report, there are four ways you can go about it:
- Mail: One option is to contact ChexSystems by mail. The advantage of this is that you’ll have a written record of your request. However, this can occasionally take longer.
ChexSystems mailing address:
Attn: Consumer Relations
7805 Hudson Road, Suite 100
Woodbury, MN 55125
- Fax: You can also send a fax to 1-602-659-2197. However, it’s not clear how reliable that method is these days, so it may just be better to call instead.
- Phone: If you would prefer to speak to someone about your situation, you can call ChexSystems at (800) 513-7125. You’ll start by pressing #1 to hear the recording in English, and then you’ll press #7 to speak to a live agent.
- Online: And finally, you can order a copy of your report at www.consumerdebit.com.
If negative items on your ChexSystems report have made it difficult for you to open a checking or savings account, you’re not alone. Many other people have encountered this same problem.
Fortunately, you do have options. You can contact ChexSystems, request a copy of your report, check for any incorrect items, and request that they be removed. And in the meantime, you can open a new account with a bank or credit union that doesn’t use ChexSystems.