Waiting for payday to come isn’t easy, especially when you’re paid biweekly and have bills to pay. However, you can get paid early by banking with a bank that offers early direct deposit.
Instead of holding your money for two days, the bank will put it directly into your account once your employer’s payroll department sends out the funds. This means the money arrives in your account sooner, and you get your paycheck early, so you can pay bills and even invest that money.
Get Paid 2-3 Days Faster at These Top 10 Online Banks
Ready to get paid early? To get started, you’ll need to find a bank account that offers early direct deposit. Below are the top ten banks to consider.
- No overdraft fees, monthly service fees, foreign transaction fees, or transfer fees
- No minimum opening deposit or balance requirements
- Use your Chime Visa Debit Card at 60,000 fee-free1 ATMs
- Get paid up to 2 days early with direct deposit2
- Chime Savings Account offers 1.50%3 APY and its Automatic Savings feature helps you save money with every paycheck
Chime® offers a mobile banking option that is easy to use and comes with plenty of benefits. When you sign up for direct deposit, Chime makes your paycheck available to you as soon as your employer deposits it, and that’s often two days earlier.
Setting up direct deposits is easy. When you open your account, you’ll receive a pre-filled direct deposit form through email. You can give that form to your employer and get started right away.
- Unlimited fee-free withdrawals at over 55,000 ATMs
- Minimum opening deposit is $10
- Deposits are FDIC insured up to $2 million
- Get paid up to two days early
The Aspiration Spend & Save account is an eco-friendly, hybrid checking and savings account. You can earn up to 5% APY.
The Aspiration debit card is made from recycled plastic. Deposits are 100% fossil fuel-free. And they even give you the option to plant a tree with every card swipe.
- Fee-free overdraft protection of up to $100
- 40,000 fee-free Allpoint ATMs
- No minimum balance or hidden fees
- Get paid up to two days early with direct deposit
Current is one of the fastest-growing mobile banking solutions in the U.S., with over one million members. However, Current is a financial technology company, not a bank.
With Current, you can earn up to 15x points and cashback when you use your Visa debit card at participating merchants. Banking services are provided by Choice Financial Group, which is FDIC-insured.
- No credit check
- $150 bonus with a qualifying direct deposit and use of Albert debit card.
- Fee-free overdraft up to $250 with no fees
- 55,000 fee-free ATMs
- Get your paycheck up to 2 days early
With Albert, there is no minimum deposit requirement to open an account. All funds are insured up to $250,000 through federally backed FDIC protection.
You get a free Mastercard debit card that you can earn cashback rewards with. Got a question related to personal finances? Use Albert’s ‘Ask a Genius’ feature on their app, which is available 24/7.
- Direct deposit with early access
- ATM fee rebates up to $240 per year
- No monthly service fees
- No minimum balance requirements
- No minimum deposit
- Free personalized checks
Founded in 1933 by seven Navy employees, the NFCU offers access to early direct deposits with a Navy FCU Active Duty Checking account.
You are eligible for NFCU membership if you are a service member in any branch of the armed forces, a family member, or a Department of Defense civilian.
Early direct deposits are delivered bi-weekly, and they’re detailed in the military posting calendar. Navy Federal Credit Union uses MyPay for direct deposit. The Active Duty Checking account is available for active or retired service members who are stateside or deployed.
- No credit check
- $100 Sign-up Bonus
- No monthly maintenance fees or overdraft fees
- Unlimited domestic ATM fee reimbursements
- Get early direct deposits and tax refunds up to 2 days early
Axos Bank has been in business for 20 years. This bank offers many personal and business solutions, including a 0.61% APY high yield savings account. In addition, Axos’ savings accounts have no monthly maintenance fees and no minimum balance requirements.
The Axos Essential Checking Account has low to no monthly service fees and offers cash back rewards. Furthermore, Axos Bank’s Direct Deposit Express feature means that you can get paid up to two days early. It’s available for all direct deposits, including monthly government benefits and tax refunds.
- No minimum balance fees or monthly fees
- 55,000 fee-free ATMs
- No minimum deposit
- Get paid up to 2 days early
The SoFi Checking and Savings account has no overdraft fees, no minimum balance fees, and no monthly fees. Plus, it offers 55,000+ fee-free ATMs within the Allpoint® Network. Similar to Chime and Current, you can get your paycheck up to 2 days early when you set up direct deposit.
You’ll also get a 1% APY on your checking and savings accounts and up to 15% cash back at local establishments with your SoFi debit card.
- No monthly service fee
- Manage your money through your iOS or Android device
- 55,000 fee-free Allpoint ATMs
- No foreign transaction, debit card replacement, or transfer fees
- Pay no overdraft fees with Varo Advance
Varo was founded in 2015 as a digital bank and offers online bank and checking accounts without monthly fees. You can sign up for a Varo bank account completely online, and there’s no need to go into a regional branch.
In addition, you can get early direct deposit and receive your paycheck up to two days early with this account. Varo can even help you to get your tax refund up to two days early.
- Early direct deposit delivers a paycheck up to 2 days early
- Competitive rates and fees
- Nearly 30,000 ATMs and 5,000 shared branches
- Free Checking and Debit Rewards account has a $0 monthly fee and no minimum balance
- High Yield Checking account has 1.50% APY on balances from $0 to $20,000
- Membership qualifications include geographic location, First Service family members, employees or retirees of Select Employee Groups, and members of the You First Foundation
The First Service Credit Union has served the Greater Houston area for over 40 years. Today, this member-owned not-for-profit financial cooperative has grown to encompass 11 physical branch locations and more than 55,000 members.
First Service offers many personal banking benefits, including free checking with debit rewards, high yield checking accounts, and access to online banking with the mobile app. In addition, first Service’s early direct deposit option offers convenience and is easy to set up, and FSCU is known for providing quality, personal service.
- Deposit cash using MoneyPak at 90,000+ major retailers nationwide using the app
- No overdraft fees or bank transfer fees
- 2% APY on savings up to a $10,000 balance
- 2% cash back on online and mobile purchases
- Monthly fees of $7.95 are waived when you spend $1,000
- Minimum opening deposit of $50
Based in Pasadena, California, Green Dot has been in business for 20 years. Green Dot offers an unlimited cash back bank account with plenty of perks, like 2% cash back on debit card purchases and 2% APY on savings.
With Green Dot’s ASAP Direct Deposit, you can get your paycheck up to two days early, and your government benefits up to four days early.
Also, Green Dot’s app allows you to bank from anywhere, and you can even get a “starter Card” Visa at local retailers to start using your new account sooner.
Other Banks to Consider to Get Paid Early
While these checking accounts didn’t make our top 10, here are 23 other checking and prepaid debit card accounts with early direct deposit that allow you to get your paycheck early.
- Ando Spending
- Andrews Federal Credit Union
- BlueBird Prepaid Visa or American Express
- Capital One 360 Checking
- CARD.com Prepaid Visa
- Cheese Account
- Citizens Bank
- Credit Karma Money Spend
- Current Premium Personal Checking Account
- Douugh Banking
- EFCU Financial
- Fifth Third Bank
- Freedom First
- GoBank Checking Account
- GTE Financial Full Access Checking Account
- Huntington Bank
- LendingClub Rewards Checking Account
- One Account
- OneUnited Bank Checking Account
- Oxygen Account
- Porte Account
- Radius Bank
- Wealthfront Cash Account
Finding the Right Bank
When choosing the best bank with early direct deposit, be sure to consider factors like monthly and overdraft fees, minimum balances, and whether you’re most comfortable with online banking or a bank with a local branch.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is direct deposit?
Direct deposit is a feature that allows your employer to deposit your paycheck straight into your bank account instead of giving you a paper check that you deposit yourself. This gives you access to your money faster.
How do I set up direct deposit with my employer?
Most employers have direct deposit forms that they give new employees at orientation. All you have to do is fill out with your account number and routing number and hand it in.
What is early direct deposit?
With direct deposit, your employer sends your pay to your bank ahead of the upcoming payday. Your bank then releases the direct deposit funds to your checking account on payday.
With early direct deposit, your bank gives you access to your funds before the scheduled payday.
Does direct deposit always come early?
Standard direct deposit doesn’t come early. Employers deposit the money into your checking account on payday. Early direct deposit can get you your money up to two days early. Government benefits and tax refunds may come even earlier than that.
Exactly when the money arrives depends on when your employer processes payroll. Holidays can also affect when your paycheck is deposited.
How can I get my direct deposit early?
Several banks, credit unions, prepaid debit cards, and apps offer early direct deposits. You can get paid early if you set up direct deposit with your employer and have one of these accounts.
How do banks process paychecks early?
While any bank is capable of getting you your paycheck early, most of them don’t because they make more money by holding on to them. However, more and more banks are willing to advance the funds to you knowing that they will be reimbursed shortly after.
Does Bank of America do early direct deposit?
No, Bank of America doesn’t currently offer early direct deposit or an option to get paid early.
Does Chase do early direct deposit?
No, Chase doesn’t currently offer an option to get paid early. Direct deposits are available on the same business day they’re made.
Does Wells Fargo do early direct deposit?
No, Wells Fargo doesn’t currently offer the early direct deposit feature. However, they expect to be providing this service soon.
1. Out-of-network ATM withdrawal fees may apply with Chime except at MoneyPass ATMs in a 7-Eleven, or any Allpoint or Visa Plus Alliance ATM.
2. Early access to direct deposit funds depends on the timing of the submission of the payment ﬁle from the payer. Chime generally make these funds available on the day the payment ﬁle is received, which may be up to 2 days earlier than the scheduled payment date.
3. The Annual Percentage Yield (“APY”) for the Chime Savings Account is variable and may change at any time. The disclosed APY is effective as of August 25, 2022. No minimum balance required. Must have $0.01 in savings to earn interest.