Waiting for payday to come isn’t easy, especially when you’re paid biweekly and have bills to pay. However, you can get paid sooner by banking with a bank that offers early direct deposit.
Instead of holding your money for two days, the bank will put it directly into your account once your employer’s payroll department sends out the funds. This means the money arrives in your account sooner, and you get your paycheck early, so you can pay bills and even invest that money.
Get Paid 2-3 Days Faster at These Top 7 Online Banks
To get started, you’ll need to find a bank that offers early direct deposit. Below are the top seven to consider.
Chime offers a mobile banking option that is easy to use and comes with plenty of benefits. When you sign up for direct deposit through your Chime Spending Account, you’ll see your money earlier. Chime makes your paycheck available to you as soon as your employer deposits it, and that’s often two days earlier.
Setting up direct deposits is easy. When you open your account, you’ll receive a pre-filled direct deposit form through email. You can give that form to your employer and get started right away.
Chime Spending Account Features
- Get paid up to 2 days early
- No overdraft, monthly service, foreign transaction, or transfer fees
- No minimum opening deposit or balance requirements
- No foreign transaction fees
- Use your Chime Visa Debit Card at the 60,000 nationwide fee-free ATMs
- Get SpotMe for fee-free overdraft protection
- Chime Savings Account offers 0.50% APY and its Automatic Savings feature helps you save money with every paycheck
- Banking services and debit card issued by, The Bancorp Bank or Stride Bank, N.A.; Members FDIC
Navy Federal Credit Union
Founded in 1933 by seven Navy employees, the NFCU offers access to early direct deposits with a Navy FCU Active Duty Checking account.
You are eligible for NFCU membership if you are a service member in any branch of the armed forces, a family member, or a Department of Defense civilian.
Early direct deposit is delivered bi-weekly, and it’s detailed in this military posting calendar. NFCU uses MyPay for direct deposit signups. The Active Duty Checking account is available for active or retired service members who are stateside or deployed.
Navy FCU Active Duty Checking Features
- Direct deposit with early access
- ATM fee rebates up to $240 per year
- No monthly service fees
- No minimum balance requirements
- Free personalized checks
- 0.05% dividend rate, 0.05 APY
Radius Bank was founded in 1987 and offers digital banking services for both consumers and businesses. Bankrate.com recognized Radius Bank as the best online bank of 2020. When you open a bank account with Radius, you can sign up for early direct deposit.
Radius makes paychecks available to you when your employer submits their payroll files. The Radius Mobile app also supports mobile check deposits, which are held for five business days. After you’ve been with Radius for 30 days, checks are held for just two days.
- Direct deposit funds available up to 2 days early
- Free checks
- Radius Mobile app supports mobile check deposit and funds transfer
- Rewards Checking and Superhero Checking come with monthly ATM fee reimbursement
- Earn unlimited 1.00% cash back on debit card purchases.
Varo was founded in 2015 as a digital bank and offers online bank and checking accounts without monthly fees. You can sign up for an account completely online, and there’s no need to go into a regional branch.
In addition, you can get early direct deposit and receive your paycheck up to two days early with these accounts. Varo can even help you to get your tax refund up to two days early.
- Online accounts offer early direct deposit
- Accounts have no monthly fees
- Manage your money through your iOS or Android device
- No fees at 55,000 Allpoint ATMs
- No foreign transaction, debit card replacement, or transfer fees
- Pay no overdraft fees with Varo Advance
Axos Bank has been in business for 20 years. This bank offers many personal and business solutions, including a 0.61% APY high yield savings account. In addition, Axos’ savings accounts have no monthly maintenance fees and no minimum balance requirements.
The Axos checking account has low to no monthly service fees and offers cash back rewards. Furthermore, Axos Bank’s Direct Deposit Express feature means that you can get paid up to two days early. It’s available for all direct deposits, including monthly government benefits and tax refunds.
- Get early direct deposits and tax refunds up to 2 days early
- Checking and savings accounts have no monthly service fees and no minimum balance
First Service Credit Union
The First Service Credit Union has served the Greater Houston area for over 40 years. Today, this member-owned not-for-profit financial cooperative has grown to encompass 11 branches and more than 55,000 members.
First Service offers many personal banking benefits, including free checking with debit rewards, high yield checking accounts, and access to online banking with the mobile app. In addition, first Service’s early direct deposit option offers convenience and is easy to set up, and FSCU is known for providing quality, personal service.
- Early direct deposit delivers a paycheck up to 2 days early
- Competitive rates and fees
- Nearly 30,000 ATMs and 5,000 shared branches
- Free Checking and Debit Rewards account has a $0 monthly fee and no minimum balance
- High Yield Checking account has 1.50% APY on balances from $0 to $20,000
- Membership qualifications include geographic location, First Service family members, employees or retirees of Select Employee Groups, and members of the You First Foundation
Based in Pasadena, California, Green Dot has been in business for 20 years. Green Dot offers an unlimited cash back bank account with plenty of perks, like 2% cash back on purchases and 2% APY on savings.
With Green Dot’s ASAP Direct Deposit, you can get your paycheck up to two days early, and your government benefits up to four days early.
Also, Green Dot’s app allows you to bank from anywhere, and you can even get a “starter Card” Visa at local retailers to start using your new account sooner.
Green Dot Features
- Deposit cash using MoneyPak at 90,000+ major retailers nationwide using the app
- No overdraft fees or bank transfer fees
- 2% APY on savings up to a $10,000 balance
- 2% cash back on online and mobile purchases
- Monthly fees of $7.95 are waived when you spend $1,000
- Minimum opening deposit of $50
Other Banks to Consider That Offer Early Direct Deposit
While these checking accounts didn’t make our top 7, here are 20 other checking and prepaid debit card accounts worth checking out.
- Ando Spending
- Andrews Federal Credit Union
- Aspiration Spend Account
- BlueBird Prepaid Visa or American Express
- Capital One 360 Checking
- CARD.com Prepaid Visa
- Cheese Account
- Credit Karma Money Spend
- Current Premium Personal Checking Account
- Douugh Banking
- EFCU Financial
- Freedom First
- GoBank Checking Account
- GTE Financial Full Access Checking Account
- LendingClub Rewards Checking Account
- One Account
- OneUnited Bank Checking Account
- Oxygen Account
- Porte Account
- Wealthfront Cash Account
Does direct deposit come early?
Standard direct deposit doesn’t come early. Employers deposit the money into your account on payday. Early direct deposit can get you your money up to two days early, and government benefits and tax refunds may come even earlier than that. Exactly when the money arrives depends on when your employer processes payroll. Holidays can also affect when your paycheck is deposited.
Finding the Right Bank
These seven banks all offer early direct deposit options. When choosing the bank that’s right for you, be sure to consider other factors like monthly and overdraft fees, minimum balances, and whether you’re most comfortable with online banking or a bank with a local branch.