Not everyone will need a car shipping company in their life. But if you’re moving long-distance and don’t want to put mileage on your vehicle, a car shipping company may be your best choice. Likewise, if you’re moving internationally and want to bring your vehicle, you’ll need a car shipping company.
Finally, maybe you just purchased a new car from a different state and want to get it to your home without adding mileage before you even get a chance to drive it.
In any of these cases, you may need a car shipping company.
In spite of the name, not all car shipping companies transport your vehicle via boat. If you’re moving cross-country, it’s likely your vehicle will be moved in an open-car carrier or an enclosed trailer – depending on the value of your vehicle and the level of service you purchase.
Who are the best car shipping companies in the U.S.? We sifted through consumer reviews and explored the options, so you don’t have to.
Montway Auto Transport
Montway Auto Transport has been in business 13 years, making it one of the longest-running and most well-known car carriers. It is widely accepted as the number one carrier in the U.S., having shipped more than 400,000 vehicles in the past two decades. Montway works with more than 15,000 auto carriers so you know you’ll be able to get the auto hauler best suited for your vehicle.
Montway ships cars to all 50 states, including Hawaii and Alaska. You can get an update on where your vehicle is on its journey by speaking to a live agent.
There are several other benefits of doing business with Montway.
- Most Convenient
- Get a precise quote via email, delivered instantly
- Door-to-door service
- Choice of enclosed or open carriers
- No charge until your carrier is dispatched
- Works only with insured haulers, and coverage is included in your quote
- Enjoy extra savings by paying cash
- Only ships cars, passenger trucks, and SUVS; no boats, RVs, or trailers
- Does not ship internationally
U-Ship has a network of more than 41,000 service providers – more than double the network of Montway. The company also has a wide variety of services, shipping nearly any type of motor vehicle, boats, household items, construction equipment, and freight.
UShip works a bit differently than other car transport companies. It connects shippers and carriers through a vast online network. Like an Etsy or Rover for shippers and carriers, you can shop around and compare quotes to find the carrier who best meets your needs and budget. You can even create a listing and have carriers bid for your business.
- Most Choices in Carriers
- Ship virtually anything, from cars and trucks to boats, RVs, and even pets
- Easily compare prices for different carriers
- Choice of open or enclosed haulers
- Must sign in and join the network to find a carrier
- Must purchase insurance coverage separately
- Shipper pays an added “uShip” fee
In business 16 years, AmeriFreight is a top-rated and well-trusted car carrier service. It is one of the few carriers, along with Ship a Car Direct, that advertises a money-back guarantee.
AmeriFreight works with 11,000 carriers and pays close attention to the carrier’s quality ratings before they can work with the car transport broker. When we ran the same scenario through the system to transport a Tesla Model X approximately 300 miles, AmeriFreight quoted $1092, higher than other options. But that was without any eligible discounts.
If you’re looking for a trustworthy and reliable carrier with options to ship different types of vehicles anywhere in the world – or if you qualify for one of their many discounts – AmeriFreight is worth considering.
- Best for international shipping
- Offers shipping across all 50 states, as well as internationally
- Ships cars, trucks, RVs, boats, motorcycles, and more
- Discounts for students, seniors, military, first-responders
- Get an instant quote via email
- 48 hours to report any damage to your vehicle and have the damage covered up to $800 in most cases
- Price slightly higher than competitors without discounts
Budget Transport prides itself on personalized service. When you book with Budget, you’ll work directly with a single-point-of-contact who assists you every step of the way. You can easily check on the status of your vehicle transport through your company representative. Budget offers door-to-door shipping and ships a variety of vehicles.
- Best for personalized service and transparency
- Offers enclosed or open carriers
- Ships cars, trucks, boats, RVs, and motorcycles
- No international shipping
- Must provide a phone number to get an email quote
Ship a Car Direct
Ship a Car Direct has been in business 12 years, earning a solid reputation as a well-respected car shipping company. The company offers door-to-door shipping and a damage-free guarantee that claims if your car is damaged during transport, Ship a Car Direct will “help pay.”
The company works with a network of 2,500 shippers and seems to be pricier than some other options. But they don’t require an upfront deposit and offer plenty of options for enclosed or open carriers to transport your vehicle.
For instance, when I requested a quote to ship a 2020 Tesla Model X from Long Island, NY, to Manassas, Virginia, the price ranged from $750 to $950, versus $889 with Montway.
- Best for customer service
- Get an estimated price instantly, no email required
- Damage-free guarantee
- Satisfaction guarantee
- Smaller network of carriers than some other companies
- Does not ship RVs, boats or motorcycles
- Maybe pricier than competitors
- Must call for exact pricing
Sherpa Auto Transport
Sherpa Auto Transport claims to be different from other car carrier services because it locks in your price when you call so there are no surprises. The company offers door-to-door delivery of your luxury vehicle, classic car, family car, light truck, or SUV. The company’s new Clean Car Guarantee pays you $20 for your first car wash after your vehicle arrives at its destination, a perk the other companies don’t offer.
- Best for guarantees
- Clean car guarantee
- Price Lock promise
- Open or enclosed carriers
- Online quoting system does not include every car manufacturer
- Must lock-in-price by phone
- Deposit required
- Only transports cars, not other vehicles
You have choices in car carriers to ship your vehicle anywhere in the U.S. The company you choose will depend upon your needs, your budget, and the auto transport company’s availability when you need them.
Consider factors such as door-to-door shipping and the type of vehicles they transport, as well as insurance and other guarantees, when you make your choice.
Our research shows you can trust these top-rated carriers to deliver your vehicle to its destination safely and reliably.